There are many Florentine examples of camicias, all built like generous T-tunics, and one example of a Venetian one, not gored like the Florentines, but gathered at the neckline. Though I planned on a Florentine gown, I decided to try the Venetian camicia, as that is what both Prax and Fia prefer. I referred to the info on Realm of Venus for some of my guidance, and on class materials and this much simpler website, which uses modern fabric widths, for the rest.
Here's the camicia all assembled except the neckline. I used the full width of the fabric (60 inches!), so the side seams are selvedge edges (yay no seam finishing!), and the sleeves and gussets are French seamed. The hems of the sleeves are also selvedge edges.
The neck band ended up being way too loose, but I didn't discover that until it was too late, and I just sort of let the dress hold the camicia up when I wore it, but I will either need to go back and redo the neckline, take some tucks in the neck band, or remove the neck band and add a drawstring.
In hindsight I also would have given the sleeve slightly more overlap with the back piece for a higher back. I did four inches of overlap in the back and two in front as suggested by Realm of Venus. Oh well. Live and learn. It is beautifully full and the fabric is marvelous stuff. So soft and comfortable to wear. I will need to get a pic of myself in the finished object, so keep an eye out for that.
Next up: the gown!
Edit to add: To see my inspiration/reference Pinterest board on the Italia garb click here.