The pattern is really very simple. The fabric, red mediumweight linen, was folded in quarters (so there is a fold where the shoulder seam would be, and a fold down the middle of the front'/back. We used an existing sideless surcote as a starting pattern and then used our bust, waist, and hip measurements as a guide, then cutting a front and back piece out with the extra material for side gores. here's a (very rough) cutting diagram. It took about 2 1/2 yards of 60" wide fabric to make mine.
In hindsight, lining the torso, or using interfacing, would have given this better structure, and I may still go back and add some, along with some more embellishments.
Then we used a projector to size up the image from our badge to run roughly from hip to hem, and traced the images first onto paper, then white linen fabric. Wonder-under iron on adhesive was used to apply the fabric pieces to the skirt, and then a very narrow zigzag stitch in black thread was done all around the edges. If I had the chance to do this again, it would be fun to hand sew the applique, and I still plan to go into the horse and add an eye, contours, etc. I would also angle the sword next time, since it appears slanted when worn due to the way the skirt hangs (though it kind of makes it look like I'm holding it in the photo below). All said, though, it's a great, comfy, and cool dress to wear, and I get lots of compliments when I wear it.
Photo: Arlen Donald